header

header


quinoa salad

The first time I ate quinoa... it was not a pleasant experience. I didn't like it - at all. 

I vowed to never touch the stuff again, but I decided that it deserved another chance. After a few more quinoa experiences, I realized that my initial judgement was a tad harsh, and that quinoa could in fact be let back into my diet. 

Quinoa does need to be doctored quite a bit. By itself, its rather bland. Mixed with a bunch of colorful veggies, a few herbs, creamy chunks of avocado and a light dressing - quinoa makes the cut! 


Here's what you'll need...
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 cup chicken/vegetable stock
1 cup water 
1 cup fresh corn removed from husks (about 3 ears of corn)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered 
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 avocado, chopped 
2 tablespoons olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Here's what to do...
Add one cup quinoa, water and stock to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. 
While quinoa is cooking, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in pan and add corn. Cook over medium high heat until cooked (5-8 minutes) stirring occasionally. 
Once quinoa is finished, add corn, tomatoes, onion, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and stir. Season to taste. Enjoy warm, at room temperature or cold. 

2 comments:

  1. Annnnnd I will be eating this for the rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. talk about tasting the rainbow!
    xx
    http://petalandplume.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete