header

header


whole wheat honey apple muffins

Sometimes halfway through a recipe {that I've completely changed and butchered} I think to myself: "DAMN, I've messed up and this is going to taste like absolute crap." 

This recipe is so far from the original that I'm not even going to site it. I added a few ingredients {like a big dollop of honey} modified most of the measurements {like changing the original 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to a 1/4 cup because I realized that's all I had after already having measured out all of the dry ingredients}, and threw in another egg and some extra yogurt at the end- just because. 

The batter was looking a little sticky and dense - and that's when I thought to myself "why am I even going to cook this mess".. but I'm so happy I did because I wound up with the most moist and tasty muffins. And, to top it off, they're pretty healthy!

I also think that the true test of muffin success, is a muffin that remains moist for a few days {because obviously then I can eat them for breakfast all week long...} and these were just as good on morning #2 ... and I ate two. Success. 




Here's what you'll need ... 
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cup non fat honey greek yogurt*
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped

Here's what to do... 
In one bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
In another bowl, mix together the sugars, vegetable oil, eggs, honey, and yogurt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and then fold in your chopped apples.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.

And when you're ready to eat, spread some honey apple butter from Trader Joe's over these bad boys.. because it's really good. 

6 comments:

  1. I want this with my coffee right now! Yum .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a crap ton of apples so I'm making these. Ps - your photos look very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that I have all the ingredients except for the apples! P.S. I made those pumpkin spice cupcakes you featured a couple weeks back... perfect for fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh. I'm going to have to bookmark this recipe. Sounds delicious!

    evannclingan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete