header

header


steamed mussels and shrimp

I cook a lot - but I still get slightly intimidated when trying something new. This was my first time making mussels at home, and it was pretty apparent during my conversation with the man at the fish counter in Whole Foods..
"do I put them in the fridge or the freezer?"..."fridge! if you put them in the freezer you will kill them"
"and the ones that don't open after cooking are dead, right?" ... "yes"
"and what about the ones that are opened now?" ... "those are also dead, we didn't give you any of those"

I went home with a couple pounds of mussels, and all of my instructions, and got ready to make a tasty summer dinner. It was a sure success... and of course I loved that dinner took no more than 15 minutes to pull together!




Here's what you'll need...
1 1/2 lbs of mussels, cleaned
1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 cups of white wine
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 tablespoon of finely minced garlic
juice of 2 lemons
4 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped

Here's what to do...
In a large pot, combine white wine, shallots, garlic, and juice of one lemon. Bring to a simmer and add mussels and cover. With heat on medium/low, cook mussels for about 3 minutes, then add your shrimp to the pot. Cook for an addition 3 minutes. Remove from head and add butter, remaining lemon juice and parsley. Allow butter to melt and stir carefully once or twice to incorporate over all of the seafood.

Serve in a shallow bowl with lots of the broth (and with some crusty bread for dipping!). Serves 2.

9 comments:

  1. Yea I'll most definitely be making thhhiisssss! The other day I did lobster for the first time and the mofo started moving on the counter and I lost it. It was hilarious and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goshhhh, this is dinner tonight. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have jsut started dabbling in cooking more seafood! Partially bc the Hubs loves I figured I needed to get over me hating it - salmon 3 times in 2 weeks, and it was actually really good - garlic dill and lemon - you'd be proud! After vacation I'm making this!!! What kind of Pot, just my regular big pasta pot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you must had a bit of beginners luck...looks so gourmet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. What a treat! Love fresh seafood creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks fantastic. The first time I cooked mussels I was intimidated as well. Cooking new things can be scary, but that's part of the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am newly OBSESSED with mussels. nom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally intimidated by cooking seafood but totally comfortable eating it :) I think you MAY have just given me the courage to try, though... this sounds amazing! -L

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely adore mussels in Summer!!!
    Big hugs!
    Inés

    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete