header

header


italian rainbow cookies


Holiday time is signified by so many things. The cooler temperatures, the decor in every home and store, a slew of holiday parties on the calendar, sparkly lights, even sparklier dresses - and cookies! Everyone has a favorite, a family recipe, or one that is made every year as a tradition. Rainbow cookies are an Italian almond cookie with a special place in my heart. They take some time, a little bit of TLC, but the end product is so worth it. If you whip up a batch, I suggest wrapping a few with some pretty ribbon - cookies make a great gift!




Here's what you'll need...
7 ounces marzipan paste or almond paste
1 cup sugar
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 drops green food coloring, or to desired color
10 drops red food coloring, or to desired color
12-oz jar seedless raspberry jam 
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Here's what to do...
I use this recipe. If you search around on the web, there are a few similar recipes. I do make a few changes. I add a bit more coloring to both the green and red dough (as noted above) to deepen the color. I don't have three 9x13 pans (only one), so I cook each dough separately. I let the layers set for about four hours before adding the chocolate, and then let it cool over night. I cover the sheet of cookies and then cut the next morning. 

what's your favorite holiday cookie?

20 comments:

  1. These are so pretty, and look seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG yum!!!! And they look pretty, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish! These are so pretty!!
    fashiontruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lara these look AMAZING! Cannot even believe how good these look. So pretty and my mouth is watering. They look like tiny little cakes. I think I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this post almost made me cry. My grandmother made these every year. I need to start making them and carry on the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious and so festive!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those were so delicious! had a few more Sunday :)
    xx
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy, can i have one?....
    follow me if you like me:)
    inveiglefair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh these sound yummy! I just made one of my favorite cookies this weekend, pizzelles! And I just posted the recipe, check it out! xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were so delicious. I'm definitely going to link your recipe to my recap. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm those were SO tasty! i love anything with almond flavor :) and i was SUPER impressed with those layers! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so delicious!
    An the colours make it look even more delicious an pretty!
    Lovely images.

    Abigail x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never had the guts to attempt these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are my FAVORITE! this bakery I go to has a rainbow cookie cake with canoli cream - it's heaven. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are fancy

    i want to try this too, i think my mom would be impressed:)

    my favs are almond shortbreads (i bet they taste similar to this..different texture) and pizzelles (choco) as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a fun idea! I swear you are like a modern Martha Stewart (in only the positive ways)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wondered how you make those!! Honestly, add those to your book too!

    ReplyDelete